Friday, May 15, 2015

The Three R’s of Forgiveness

…and forgiving one another,
if anyone has a complaint against another;
even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.

Colossians 3:13

We all know we should forgive those who sin against us. But sometimes it seems easier to say than to do. We find ourselves giving ‘intellectual forgiveness’ and still struggling to give ‘emotional forgiveness.’ But is there a way to move beyond this? Can the Bible help us out here?

I believe that the Bible does indeed provide a way to gain victory in this area. It fleshes out the command to forgive with practical guidance, and today I would like to point out three of basic principles it states. I’ll call them “The ‘R’s’ of forgiveness.” Perhaps they will help you the next time you are called upon to forgive.

§  Remember.

It is amazing how good we can be at remembering the faults of others. But that’s not the type of ‘remembering’ I’m talking about here. No, the remembering I’m referring to here refers to the recalling of our own faults and needs.

First, we should remember our membership in the global family. I must remind myself that I, too, am a descendant of Adam, and that I have also received from him a sin nature. When I quote Romans 3:23 (“for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”), I must remind myself that I am truly part of the “all.” I myself was once at war with God. And this is no esoteric, philosophical notion. I was a literal rebel, cursing Almighty God in my thoughts and actions.

Second, we should remember that our rebellion against Almighty God earned us the ultimate death sentence. I, personally, was placed upon the Divine’s death row. And rightly so. When I read that “the wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23), I must recall that I earned my place in hell’s torture chambers.

Third, we should remember that it is only Almighty God’s gift that frees us from that death sentence and, more than that, gives us a position in His heavenly abode. That’s what I should remember as I finish reading Romans 6:23: “but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

And then, fourth, we should remember what Jesus told Peter about forgiveness. This is recorded in Matthew 18. Jesus likened a person’s offense against another to a paltry sum owed between servants, and then He likened a person’s offense against Almighty God to an incomprehensibly large sum owed by a servant to a king. In the story He tells, He describes the king as having forgiven the servant’s debt. And then He describes the servant as having exacted payment from his fellow servant. The matter is reported to the king, and the unmerciful servant is punished. The underlying principle is that the one who has been forgiven much should forgive much. For me, it means that when another person sins against me, I should remember how much Almighty God has forgiven me and forgive that person, genuinely, from my heart. (Matthew 18:35)

§  Reframe.

To ‘reframe’ an event is to re-think the event and to question the assumptions you made about it in the first place. Or add new ones to it. It is a matter of trying to see it from the other person’s perspective.

In many ways, ‘reframing’ is similar to ‘remembering.’ The difference here is that you choose to remember specific things about the other person that you may have forgotten or ignored. The first is that the other person also is a fallen individual, one who needs God’s grace as desperately as you do. The second is that he or she also has many things going on in his or her life, things of which you are unaware. And, the third is that you are neither omniscient nor sovereign. Reframing means remembering that only God is God and deciding to leave the judgment to Him.

Practically speaking, reframing looks a little like this: Someone ignores me and refuses to shake my hand at a social event. My natural (fleshly) instinct is to think, “Wow, that guy is really a jerk. He just thinks he’s better than I am.” And then I am tempted to ignore him from then on. But then I remember Jesus’ words, and I realize I need to forgive him. But perhaps I am still struggling. At this time I should consciously decide to ‘re-frame’ the event. I might imagine something like this: Maybe he was thinking about a huge problem he has going on at work, and maybe he was distracted and failed to see my hand, and maybe it was only later that he even realized he had passed by me. And maybe he even felt a little bad for ignoring me.

Now, of course, the reality is that I don’t know what was going on in his mind. And that’s just the point. I don’t know, and I can’t know. Only God knows. And when I recall that, I am left with only a few options. I can go to him and ask him why he ignored me, or I can simply assume he meant no harm.

I think that is much of what Paul is driving at in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7: that we should assume the best and move on. And if I do that, I will find that I am keeping that other great command: to love my neighbor as myself. I mean, really, don’t I want people to give me the benefit of the doubt?

§  Release.

The third “R” I came up with is ‘release.’ By that, I mean to ‘let it go.’

I think we sometimes forget that we have the freedom to let things go, and my hope here is simply to remind you (and me) of that option.

But I do want to clarify something… In the past, particularly in cases of parental abuse, I have heard abusers say to victims, “Just forgive me. Why do you have to even bring this up? Just forget it, forgive me, and move on.”

I do not believe this sort of ‘release’ is what is involved in biblical forgiveness. In such cases, it seems that the abuser is asking the victim to engage in denial, not forgiveness. Why? Because I don’t believe that a person can genuinely forgive another person until he or she has realized that a wrong has occurred. Now, please don’t misunderstand. I am not suggesting that wrongs must be examined in excruciating detail to legitimize them. But I am suggesting that a call to forgiveness rests on an affirmation that a wrong has, indeed, occurred. To forgive is to say, essentially, yes, a wrong has occurred, and I will forgive you for doing it.

Forgiveness is not denial. It rests on acceptance and culminates in release. It is a decision to ‘let it go’ and to keep no record of the wrong.

This is what God has done for us in Christ Jesus. There is no question of whether we did wrong. We all did. We all needed His forgiveness. And there is no question of the enormity of that wrong. It was an incomprehensible and incomparable evil. But to recall this is only to rehearse (and glorify) the enormity of His forgiveness. With full understanding of the evil in which we engaged, with full cognition of our rebellion and enmity, Christ died for us, that we might live and be imputed His very own righteousness. (2 Corinthians 5:21) Wow. Praise God!

Well, that cover’s my three “R’s.” Did you think of others? Is there someone you need to forgive today? If so, let me encourage to do so before the sun sets!

And be kind to one another, tenderhearted,
forgiving one another, just as God in Christ forgave you.”
Ephesians 4:32
-- Christian Pilet
                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment